Author Tyler Weaver of Parenthetical Recluse, a fascinating blog about music, movies, literature, running, Ohio election signage, and so much more, has asked me to contribute a monthly recommendation (probably, mostly, music, but maybe other stuff?) for his MacroParentheticals newsletter. The newsletter comes out every Sunday and is chock full of Tyler’s own current media consumption, musings, “fascinations, perspirations, and whatever else comes to mind,” plus pictures of Tyler’s adorable dogs.
Since it’s the end of the year, this month I figured I’d do a roundup of 20 favorites from 2020. I could probably do a top 50 but 20 will have to do. These are all wonderful and should give someone looking for new stuff a place to start. Part 1 is already on the blog, and part 2 is here in alphabetical order by album title:
- Nachtfisch, by Chorchill [Strategic Tape Reserve]
- Nothing EP, by Loraine James [Hyperdub]
- ORCORARA 2010, by Elysia Crampton Chuquimia [PAN]
- Pantayo, by Pantayo [Telephone Explosion]
- The Quiet City, by Library Tapes [1631 Recordings]
- The Rain, The Pour, by Whettman Chelmets [self-released]
- ROSETTA, by Dua Saleh [Against Giants]
- Spells, by Nailah Hunter [Leaving Records]
- UNTITLED (Black Is), by SAULT [Forever Living Originals]
- Visions of Bodies Being Burned, by clipping [Sub Pop]
- And here’s a bonus #21 that I feel a little vain including but that is too good not to share: my brilliant friend Xqui remixed my “Stay Safe” EP and it’s incredible.
Thanks to all of the fantastic artists who put out music this year. For more content like this, signup for MacroParentheticals.